I’ve mentioned my mother’s Cinnamon Quick Bread here before and I was hoping to veganize it and relive its wonderfulness. I could not find the recipe my mother always used so I searched around the internet to find one that was to my liking. As I recall frequently enjoying the bread on snow days and today was a snow-ish day, I thought that today would be the perfect day to try it out. I found one and made quite a few changes.
Cinnamon Swirl Loaf
1 cup soymilk
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 soy yogurt (I used So Nice’s Orginal)
For the Cinnamon-Sugar Mixture:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbs cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a loaf pan.
1. In a small bowl, combine the soymilk and the apple cider vinegar. Set aside so it gets all nice and curdly.
2. In another small bowl, make the cinnamon-sugar combining the cinnamon and brown sugar with a fork.
3. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
4. In a separate large bowl, beat together the canola oil, sugar and soy yogurt.
5. Add the flour mixture, along with the soymilk/vinegar to the sugar mixture in batches. (I did this in three batches)
6. Add a third of the batter to loaf pan and then sprinkle with the Cinnamon-Sugar. Repeat this twice.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick or a knife is inserted into the loaf comes out clean.
8. Cool and enjoy with a healthy dab of earth balance!
I really love the way it turned out! It has a wonderful texture and is just as delicious as I remember it. Next time, I’ll run a knife through the batter for more swirly goodness like my mother did with her bread. But other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing, it’s perfect on a snowy day.